It was a really really hard weeK with long long days & too much travel . It also made me sad getting back late each evening with little energy to do anything more than make sandwiches for the next day and throw down some pasta.
So finishing work early on Friday and with The Weekend Guest ( TWG) expected decided to make some Morrocan Lamb , its very therapeutic chopping all the stuffing ingredients
Morrocanish Leg of Lamb
- Fresh Mint roughly chopped
- Fresh Coriander roughly chopped
- 2 cups Dried Apricots finely chopped
- 2 cups dried dates finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 red chillis finely chopped
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 orange juiced and zested
For the lamb
- harrissa paste
- Leg of Lamb
Chop and mix together together the stuffing ingredients
- stuff the leg of lam with the stuffing tie together
- Smother the leg of lam with harissa paste
- wrap the lamb in foil
- Roast as indicated by weight opening the foil for the last 30 minutes
I thought TWG would appreciate the smell of roasting flesh on arrival – way to a mans heart and all that
After managing Friday night at the theatre and maybe one too many drinks well you have to examine the theatircal narrative if Ibsen don’t you know , I woke up on Saturday morning with a viscious aching head But when the bacon bagel and third cup of tea failed to shift it and my nose started dribbling in cursing re-criculated train air I decided it time to call in the big guns
TWG swiftly hauled ass to the chemist for tissues , pankillers ingredients and whipped me up a batch of spicy chicken noodle soup
It did the trick so Saturday Night since TWG had brought black pudding ( from Nottingham Market ) I pulled myself together & we bunged together an impressive starter of Black Pudding, Watercress ,Caramalised Red Cabbage & Goats Cheese Salad.
fried off black pudding caramalised red cabbage ( simmer chopped red cabbage with red onion sugar and balsamic vinegar – leave to cool ) on a bed of watercress , crumble over goats cheese . I would also try this with roasted beetroot in place of the red cabbage
The fancy stuff over we settled down with a platter of the Morrocan Lamb , Humus , pitta bread and the spicy stuffing and a couple of glasses of full bodied red wine. Kind of a fancy kebab for a Saturday night
On Sunday , I had promised we could roast a duck so after a brief stroll and while TWG was settled with antipasti and the football
- Chop the potatoes in quarters , add onions , thyme salt and pepper place in oven tray
- place a duck over the top of the potatoes upside down to start and roast at 200 deg , 45 mins per kilo pouring off the fat occasionally and shaking the potatoes.
- Halfway through cook time rightside the duck.
- At end of cooking remove the duck and potatoes to rest , slosh in sherry & hot water and deglaze the pan . Strain and simmer , thicken with a little cornflour.
The duck turned out fantastically should be minted peas but got a lot of cabbage in the vege box so minted cabbage was a good accompaniment
Sunday night TWG was despatched with of leftovers and echos of a fantastic weekend using the leftover duck and soup ingredients for coloutrful flavourful duck soup for Monday night .
- Fry off the duck with ginger lemon grass and chilli
- Pour over boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add coriander leaves , chinese cabbage and a squeeze of lime