Last couple of weeks I have been able to fall back in love with the vegebox too much time away from home too much work has meant it has been a little neglected
Rhubarb made a fantastic tart and even got some wild food in there using elderflower for the last week it was in season .
- Gently cook chopped 5 sticks of fresh rhubarb in pan with a little water with a handful of caradommon seeds and a sprinkling of brown sugar . You want it to go mushy , but do not boil heavily or it wil lose its lovely pink colour. Leave to cool.
- Make very short , shortcrust pastry (200g flour crumbed with 100g butter and approx 5ml of cold water added slowly to form pastry . Line a 15in tart/quiche tin, fill withe rhubarb tasking to made sure its not too tart Bake at 200deg for 25minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool . It should set nicely
Shown here sprinkled with elderflower flowers since i served with with elderflower cream ( creme fraiche mixed with a little honey and elderflower flowers)
The lovely weekend guest and I managed some trips out in the warm weather for picnics a salad using up the last winter vegetables and squashes in a Roasted Carrot , butternut squash, thyme and feta salad
Left space for a dish that owes a lot to my regular weekend host using up the best of the new vegetables broads beans and peas , in a Fresh Broad Bean , Fresh Pea , Butter Bean ,Courgette, Preserved Lemon & Goats Cheese Salad
The first new tomatoes have this weekend made a delicious summer tart a crime to cook them they were fresh over caramised onions and goats cheese.
- Roll out 100grms about a quarter of a packet of ready made puff pastry
- slather over caramalised onions (I keep some in the fridge – made by simmering thinly sliced onions with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar til they are soft and syrupy, great with cheese and biscuits )
- add pine nuts and a sprinkling of goats cheese .
- Bake at 190degC for 20 minutes , then layer over fresh tomatoes sprinkled with fresh thyme , rock salt and pepper. Tomatoes this time of year are too good to cook
- Served here on a bed of rocket and basil