After the success of the sticky gingerbread last week I am in a baking frenzy for the upcoming weekend away attempting to prove my domesticity and provide sustenance for the planned mammouth walks.
Mostly carrot cakes are made with raisins not a big fan of these and I never have any in stock , do have a lot of dried apricots because I like them in meat stuffings
it also uses sunflower oil handy when I am short of butter so here an amended a recipe from BBC Good Food – for Carrot Cake
Carrot and Apricot Cake
175g light muscovado sugar
175ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs lightly beaten
150g grated carrots
100g dried apricots finely chopped
Grated zest of 1 large orange – juice save for frosting
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the frosting
175g icing sugar
Juice from a large orange
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan 160C.
2. Line an 18cm square baking tin
3. Cream the sugar and oil together , add the eggs
4. Stir in the grated carrots, apricots and 2/3 of the orange zest
5.Mix in the flour, bicarbonate ofsoda and spices
6.Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40- 45 minutes, until it feels firmand springy when you press it in the centre. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out, peel
off the paper and cool on a wire rack.
7. Beat together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl until smooth drizzle over the cake sprinkle over the final third of the orange zest
8. Leave to set , cut into 9 very generous squares
Powered by ScribeFire.