Summer vegetables are appearing from the Riverford Farms in Spain , last weekend I treated them to homemade pasta , as the summer vegetables begin to glut this chicken dish is an excellent way of cooking lots of vegetables , it also works with sausages.
I got this recipe from a stylish french lady a good few years ago, not only do you get a chicken that sauces the vegetables making a delicious gravy. Once you have stuffed yourself with plenty of chicken and vegetables any leftover vegetable and chicken can be frozen heated it through with passata or fresh tomatoes in season gives rich pasta sauce for the perfect ready meal .
I served it with some polenta my first time using it like Anne Kitchen I have had some in my cupboard for a while check out her lovely Mediterranean Vegetable Polenta Cakes . As an accompaniment I cooked simply cooked as instructed stirring in boiling water and adding a little salt and pepper
Roasted Chicken with summer vegetables
1 Happy Organic Chicken
1 red pepper
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
300g of passata
Half a preserved lemon
4 tbsp of sun dried tomatoes
Handful of black or green olives
4 tbsp of olive oil
3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Handful of fresh herbs ( oregeano parsley & thyme)
- Chop all of the vegetables into 1 cm cubes
- Finely chop the sun dried tomatoes , lemon , olives and herbs together mix with vegetables
- Place the vegetable mix in the bottom of a roasting dish and pour over the passata , herbs & balsamic vinegar . Season with salt and pepper
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and rub the vegetables over the bird to coat it with oil and flavours
- Roast at 190degC for one and a half hour until the bird is golden brown ,a few times durhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/beckayork/3354599046/ing cooking stir the vegetables to ensure they are mixed with the chicken juices.
- Allow the dish to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving this will allow the chicken to release more juice.
- Serve with mashed potatoes , crunchy french bread or polenta