A very relaxing day being a cat, I had a proper lie in and then padded around the house stretching and settling. Listening to the bees buzz and birds sing. I found some lamb shanks in the freezer and was thinking it wasn’t a season for casserole, but I found a few recipes where they could be cooked in white wine. This long slow cook resulted in melt in the mouth meat and beans dissolving into a roasted vegetablesauce that cried out to be mopped with some crusty bread.
Lamb Shanks in White Wine and White Beans
2 Lamb Shanks
200g of dried mixed white beans , butter beans , flagolet & haricot beans
100g of fresh tomatoes roughly chopped
300ml of white wine
1 large onion finely sliced
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
Handful of fresh thyme and oregano
1 tbsp of olive oil
- Soak the beans for at least 12 hours in water.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven oil in a cast iron casserole dish.
- Add the lamb shanks and brown on each side
- Add the onions , garlic , beans, tomatoes , herbs and white wine
- Bring to a simmer , cover and place in the oven at 160degC for at least 2 hours.