I am not one of those girls obsessed with chocolate for me it is a bit of a take it or leave it ingredient. The exception was while I was pregnant I craved both cake and chocolate. I partly put it down to giving up alcohol my body was craving something a bit naughty.
The perfect combination of chocolate and cake is a chocolate brownie. I have always used, Nigel Slaters recipe for Very Good Chocolate Brownies , sometimes adding beetroot & ginger , or raspberries. They are always excellent – dense and fudgey but they require a lot of sugar , butter and chocolate . This not only works out quick expensive it gives a hit so intense I am often left reeling.
I decided to experiment with my Sticky Toffee Date Cake to try combining the recipes , to make a rich tasting chocolate cake without all the butter and chocolate.
The cake uses dates and cocoa and works really well and proper crackly brownie top with a sticky centre, one for the regular cake rotation
Chocolate Date Cake
175g of self raising flour
175ml of sunflower oil
175g of brown sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g of cocoa
100g of dates finely chopped
Makes 16 pieces
- Cover the dates in boiling water , leave to cool, then drain off half the water
- Preheat the oven to 175degC
- Line a 25cm square tin with greaseproof paper
- Cream together the oil , sugar dates ( + soaking water) eggs
- Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa
- Fill the the cake tin and bake at 175degC for 35 minutes
- Allow to cook and cut into pieces.