My local butchers sell a lot of strange cow parts , feet and stomach are a bit beyond me a the moment. I struggle with looking at my own feet, not sure I want to give something I am going to eat a pedicure. But heart and tongue I can work with , first up Ox Heart so big I needed two hands to hold it and super-cheap at just £1.50 for 1.5kilos. It takes a little preperation, easier than filleting a fish , harder than shaping a burger.
Remove any tubes and sinews, even the heart strings ( Yes, they really exist) You can also remove the obvious fat and save it for basting if you want the meat leat in your recipe , but for burger or stewing it’s good to leave a little on.
My first stop was Odd Bits by Jennifer McLaglan definitely worth a read if you are considering experimenting with offal. Her reccomendation with heart is to either cook it for a very short or very long time with recipes for kebabs , braises even a heart tartare. But for trying heart for the first time . You need to mix it with beef mince , I used my standard burger recipe half Ox Heart and half mince.
Ox Heart and Beef Burgers
4 fat burgers
150g of beef mince
150g of Ox Heart
6 tbsp of breadcrumbs
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp of english mustard
Pinch of salt
- Mix together the beef , onion and mustard
- Divide into four and shape into burgers 1cm thick
- Place in the fridge for at least a hour
- Place under a hot grill 8 minutes on one side 4 on the second.
The next time I created Ox Heart Salad to ensure I could really test the texture of the Heart, it’s amazingly delicate soft like fillet steak with a hint of liver but not overpowering. Grilled very quickly and served with a great ingredient just coming into season pepper watercress.
Ox Heart , Watercress and Onion Salad with Horseradish Dressing
200g of Ox Heart finely sliced 1/4 cm
1 bunch of watercress
1 red onion finely sliced
Freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp of horseradish sauce
1/2 tsp of sunflower oil
- Toss the Ox Heart in the oil and the black pepper
- Fry in a hot pan for 30 seconds , turn over and turn the heat off
- Remove the heart to a plate to rest for 30 seconds this will allow the juices to run off ( this is more for presentation)
- Scatter the plate with watercress , then scatter over the Ox Heart , onion slices and drizzle with horseradish sauce
Finally with heart still left it goes a long way Stir Fry Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Ox Heart
1 hanful of purple sprouting broccoli
100g of Ox Heart finely sliced
1 tsp of crushed red chilli
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp of oil
5 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Soak some rice noodles in boiling water
- Heat a frying pan add the oil , garlic and chilli
- Finally add the purple sprouting and fry for a few minutes til softed
- Finally add the Ox Heart , fry on both sides for a few seconds
- Add the noodles and a large slosh of soy sauce