Whenever I see a bag of strange ingredients I am compelled to buy them , this time barberries, small sour berries a traditional Iranian ingredient for a classic dish Zereshk Polow (Barberry Rice with Chicken) I was dubious that a dish with so few ingredients would taste very good.
Original recipes involve cooking the chicken and rice seperately then combining them for a one hour bake, the closest I could think a biryani. But obsessed as I am with the pressure cooker I thought I would make up my own method
It worked perfectly the chicken juices absorbed and coating with the rice. Slightly caramalised barberries adding a sweet sour taste. These are definitely going to become one of my favourite ingredients.
Chicken and Barberry Rice
8 pieces of chicken (legs and drumsticks)skin removed
250g of basmatic rice
1 large onion peeled and finely sliced
1 clove of garlic peeled
1/2 pint of hot (just boiled)water
8 strands of saffron
1 large handful of dried barberries
- Soak the saffron and the barberries in the water for 5 minutes
- Place the chicken in the pressure cooker with the onions and garlic
- Pour over the water
- Bring the pressure cooker up steam on the highest setting
- Turn the heat down and cook for 10 minutes
- Release the pressure, add the rice
- Bring back up the steam , turn down the heat, cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, release the pressure