Risky Eating – Clouded Agaric

Clouded Agaric Mushrooms on Wilted Spinach

…… Clouded Agaric ( clitocybe nebularis) causes allergic reactions in some people but the tonnes growing in the woods this autumn and on the advice of the guy running my fungi class meant that I decided to take a chance. This week ate a small amount and having no reaction after 24hours cooked up a lot of fungus.

Really really tasty strong flavour there is still a lot growing in the woods. Extreme eating maybe but he also had us sampling Yew Berries which are ebible if you spit out the seeds… it goes against everything I had ever believed …

Clouded Agaric Path

19 Comments

  1. Loved the article. I have many Clouded Agaric growing around where I live. I’m so glad I found someone who has actually tried them, and fortunately been OK with them. They sound wonderful to eat.

    Come this Autumn I might try a little taster myself to be sure I’m OK with them.

    Hope you don’t mind, but I mentioned it in my mushroom blog (mushroomdiary.co.uk) with a link to this page.

    Best regards
    John Harris

  2. Hi Becky.

    Thanks for the reply and kind comment. I absolutely love your Mushroom Gallery.

    I especially love those Parasol Mushroom shots. They’re amazing. Great stuff. Can’t wait until Spring/Summer to get out there.

    Take care.
    John

  3. I have eaten Clouded Agaric 20 yrs ago and i can still remember the lovely deep flavour and smell whilst frying..it is risky for some and if am honest wouldn’t recommend it…but if anyone wants to try then please ensure you A/have the right fungi and not something else..and B/try a very small portion first to see if you get an upset tummy..would i eat this again?…you bet i would..

  4. So tell me, were the clouded agarics very smelly?

    I think I found some at the weekend but after looking at the books, they were a little contradictory – Phillips described them as smelling mushroomy and with a cream spore print but other resources (Rogers, mushroom.expert.com) described the spore print as yellowish and the mushrooms as having a foul smell

  5. Great -I just found some loads of these growing in massive rings in our woods. I’m tempted to do as you have done and try a little. The book I read about them in said that they “used to be regarded as edible” – hard to see what could change. Apparently they caused kidney trouble in people with damaged kidneys.

  6. The thing to do is PRE-BOIL them for 5 minutes – that loses the danger of an upset stomach or other adverse reactions.

    Pre-boiling is quite common in the treatment of mushrooms – some Russulas and Milk-Caps are treated the same way before frying or adding to dishes. Don’t boil them for too much longer than 5 minutes though, as then the taste would start to fade. Rinse and use! 🙂

    However, please keep in mind that pre-boiling does not work with the truly poisonous mushrooms like the Fly Agaric. 🙂

  7. @Kati, you can actually parboil fly agaric and eat them safely because the toxin is water soluable. A google search brings up a few articles on the subject. I’ve eaten plenty of caps this way.

  8. I have tried it now, it tastes good, it is not worth compared to the following problems, I cooked it thoroughly, This is my first time trying this mushroom, I very rarely get symptoms from mushrooms, that should cause stomach problems, but have had my first experience now, after an hour of ingestion have I got a stomach ache and a semi big headache.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s