Butternut Squash and Leek Quiche
Butternut Squash , Leeks , Shortcrust Pastry ( Flour ,Butter , Water ) , Milk Eggs , Salt Pepper
- Roasted butternut squash ( cut the squash into chunks and drizzle with oil roast at 200deg for approx 20 minutes )
- Make shortcrust pastry (200g flour crumbed with 100g butter and approx 10ml of cold water added slowly to form pastry .)
- Roll out and line a 15in tart/quich tin first lined with baking paper ( Quick tip scrunch up the baking paper into a ball first to easily line the tray , exact cutting not required.
- Meanwhile cook the leeks in a little butter til soft
- Beat three eggs into half a pint of milk . Season well with salt and pepper .
- Scatter leeks and butternut squash into a pastry case , pour over the eggs and milk and bake for 30 minutes at 175degC.
Next time I might add some walnuts . I love that these recipes come about solely from my vegebox which inspires me on a weekly basis to think …. not exactly outside the box more around the box.
Butternut Squash Stuffed with leeks ,garlic , walnuts, fennel leaves and goats cheese
The leek /butternut combination I know to be good from whole roasted butternut squash in the winter ,
Roast the squash first in the oven at max for 20 mins ( wrap the squah in foil for speedy cooking) then open and and scoop out the flesh mix it with stuffing ingredients ( in this case leeks , garlic walnuts , fennel leaves and goats cheese . Return to oven and roast off for 15 minutes……………….
If you just want to cook butternut squash I like to cut into into chunks and roast with oil and cumin seed as a good accompanying vegetable
Smoked Salmon and Leek Quiche
- Make Shortcrust pastry (200g flour mixed with 100g butter and cold water to form pastry .) Roll out and bake blind in a a 22in quich tin at 200deg for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile cook the leeks in a little butter .
- Beat three eggs into half a pint of milk .
- Season well with salt and pepper .
- Scatter leeks and smoked salmon over the baked pastry shell , pour over the eggs and milk and bake for another ten minutes. Serve with watercress salad