What to do with a sad looking cabbage hiding in the vegebox after Christmas , well I say stuff it the weather is getting cold with snow predicted so it seems fitting to make an Eastern European recipe inspired recipe. It might look a little unappetising, but I can stress enough how delicious and surprisingly light this was.
They are also not as fiddly to make as you might imagine ,I like things it little row magical green packages I have some other stuffed cabbage recipes , oriental and spring stuffed cabbage recipes at the end of this post
1 savoy cabbage
250g of lean minced beef
100g of white long grain rice
1 small red onion
4 cloves of garlic
1tsp of cumin
2 tsp of paprika
400g of chopped tomatoes
1/2 pint of water
1tsp of sugar
1tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190degC
- Remove the leaves from the cabbage until the the heart if left where the leaves are too small to remove from the core.
- Place the cabbage leaves in a pan and pour over boiled water , simmer until they become soft and pliable. Remove from the water and allow to cool
- Cook the rice as directed on the packet , don’t rinse it was you might normally before cooking , the starch is good to bind everything
- Finely chop the onions , garlic & the cabbage core , mix in the cumin and paprika, add the rice and minced beef
- Place the cabbage leaf with the outside edge down on the counter , place a tablespoon of the mince end and roll the leaf up bringing in the side edges .
- Put the roll into a dutch oven/cast iron pot.
- Repeat as many times as you have leaves and mixture
- Pour over the tomatoes,water, vinegar and sugar.
- Cover the pot , cook for 1.5 hours adding more water if neccessary.
Oriental Cabbage Rolls
Simmer the cabbage leaves until soft . You could also use lettuce leaves or use this mix in wonton wrappers. Grate carrots , mix with toasted peanuts , chopped garlic , chopped fresh coriander , chopped fresh mint , fresh red chilli a good slosh of light soy sauce to coat all the ingredients . Fill individual cabbage leaves . Serve with soy sauce for dip .
Spring Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed individual cabbage leaves with chopped mushrooms ,pine nuts, goats cheese , thyme . Steam and serve with toasted pine nuts a squeeze of fresh lemon and drizzle of olive oil
Powered by ScribeFire.