Two for £1.50 and as big as tennis balls , faggots are traditionally made from pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes breadcrumbs, wrapped round with caul a membrane from the pig’s abdomen. Probably not for the squeamish these tasted fantastic deliciously seasoned herbs and nutmeg.
Faggots are traditionally served with a gravy , the guy on the stall gave me a recipe which involved the faggots and gravy cooked separately , I wanted the faggots and gravy simmered together .This produced a rich tasty gravy soaked up by a pile of mashed potatoes and some purple sprouting broccoli also fresh from the market.
Faggots with Dark Ale and Onion Gravy
6 large faggots
500ml of dark ale
2 medium onions roughly chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp of beef concentrate
1 tbsp of plain flour
- Place the faggots in a cast iron pan on a gentle heat ,turn regularly to allow the faggots to seal but not brown in the heat. Cover the pan and place in the oven at 190degC
- In a saucepan gently brown the onions and garlic
- Pour over the dark ale , beef concentrate , vinegar & sugar
- Whisk in the flour , this should thicken the gravy slightly
- Pour the gravy over the faggots , cover again and return to the oven for 25 minutes