Rhubarb is in season , rhubarb is in season sing it to the hills . Last year I made a beautiful Rhubarb Tart . This weekend I pottered around making a rhubarb and ginger upside down cake .
Fantastically moist I was dubious the rhubarb would cook within the cake but it did giving moist chunks of rhubarb with every bite and hit of stem ginger.
Upside down Rhubarb and Ginger Cake
300g rhubarb about 3 sticks
75g brown sugar
3 balls of stem ginger – finely chopped
175g Self-raising flour
175g Butter, soft
3 Medium eggs
175g Caster Sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 C. Grease and line a 7 inch deep-sided cake tin.
2. Chop the rhubarb stalks into 2cm pieces . Place evenly over the base of the lined cake tin and sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
3. Beat together the butter and the sugar until they are creamy and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, and beat thoroughly
5. Fold the in flour, so you don’t lose the air from the cake.
6. Spoon the cake mixture on top of the rhubarb scaterring the ginger throughour
7. Bake for about 45 minutes.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Turn the cake tin upside down onto the serving plate and gently remove it from the cake.
I have also made rhubarb and ginger muffins before delicious for breakfast in the past perfect to make listening to the Archers omnibus .
Rhubarb and Ginger Muffins
Make 20 Muffins
2 large stems of rhubarb chopped 1cm cubes
200g plain flour,
100g of butter,
100g of muscovado sugar
2 balls of stem ginger
Cream together the butter &amp;amp;amp; sugar
Beat in the eggs
Fold in the flour and milk
mix in finely chopped rhubarb and ginger.
Fill the muffin cases
Cook at 175degC for 20 mins.
Technorati Tags: Rhubarb and recipe Ginger Upside Down Cake