Not only am do I need to empty my own freezer but the lovely boyfreind has informed me there is a preponderance of fowl in his freezer , a mallard duck and a guinea fowl . Stowed by after my trip to Borough Market back in March.
Guinea fowl , I really liked this when I cooked it before with smoked sausage and butter beans , I was a bit worried that roast or casserole would be to heavy in June, luckily the changable British weather obliged and after a sunny Saturday BBQ , on Sunday clouded over.
Now Guinea Fowl I have heard can often be dry so I opted for a casserole rather than roasting and adapted a recipe I had used for chicken with lentils
Guinea Fowl with lentils
1 medium guinea fowl
200g of green lentils
2 pints of water
Salt and Pepper
Bunch of thyme
1/2 glass of red wine
- Season the guinea fowl with salt and pepper
- Place the guinea fowl and lentils in an oven proof dish
- Pour over the water , wine , thyme leaves
- Cover a bring to a boil on the hob
- Place in a medium oven / 200degC for approx 1 hour.
- Check half way through and add more water if it has all been absorbed by the lentils
- On serving taste the lentils and season with salt and pepper