This is a very flavoursome salad from Allegra McEvedy .I’ve never eaten in on of her fast food restaurants Leon but using healthy seasonal food she ticks all my boxes except using the word “superfood” grr bad anyway she did have a wedding cake make of Neals Yard layers of cheese ( which is a longstanding ambition of mine so I am willing to believe she must be all good.)
Chicken liver, fennel and cumin crouton salad
Serves two as a main course
½ a fennel bulb thinly sliced
1 tsp whole cumin
1 thick slive white bread cut into 3cm cubes
50g chicken livers
1tbsp of olive oil
Splash of sherry vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Shave the fennel with a knife into long thin curls, drop into cold water and leave for 15 minutes.
- Roll the bread cubes around in a bowl with the cumin, a bit of salt and the olive oil.
- Season the livers with salt and pepper
- Put a thick-bottomed wide saucepan on a high flame fry the bread cubes until lightly brown remove from the pan
- Add the liver to the pan deglaze with the vinegar
- Take the pan off the heat; toss in the croutons, and then tip the lot into a bowl with the fennel.