Spurred on by the now annual Eat Christmas Cookies at Food Blogga I am busy making Christmas cookies, these might not be an obvious Christmas recipe but the red cranberries and green pumpkin seeds seem pretty festive . You could substitute dried apricots , sultanas or raisins . They are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle.
Last year for the same blogging event I made Gingerbread Stars early in the year and took pictures which were lovely because I gave people Christmas cards with recipes on them. But time is a bit pressured this year so how is this for sneaky, these cookies are great as gifts but the dry ingredients layered in jars be given as cookie mixes accompanied by recipe gift tags
These dry ingredients enough to pack into a 0.5litre kilner jar ( requiring the addition of one egg and 100ml of sunflower oil ) and makes approx 12 large cookies
Cranberry and Pumpkin Seed Cookies
150g of brown sugar
100g of caster sugar
125g of plain flour
6 heaped tbsp of pumpkin seeds
6 heaped tbsp of cranberries
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
100ml of sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 180degC
- Cover a baking sheet with baking paper
- Mix together the dry ingredients sugar flour, pumpkin seeds , cranberries baking powder and salt.
- Beat in the egg and sunflower oil .
- To form the cookies Place heaped 2 heaped tablespoons of mixture ( one ice cream scoop) on the baking sheet leaving at least 2 inches between heaps to allow the cookies to spread.
- Press each heap down slightly .
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden , remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool
If these don’t inspire potentially hundreds of other recipes over at Food Blogga Christmas Cookie roundup