So in a quiet moment I tried my hand , but we didn’t have any white caster sugar only golden , not sure where it came from but we don’t buy a lot of non-brown sugar. However we haven’t had room for pudding until this weekend when happily exahusted from walking and I think we deserved some sugar , my mum does a great mango and ginger pavola but mangos aren’t very seasonal so that will have to wait til the summer. However I had both rhubarb and ginger left over from Rhubarb and Ginger cake ,
Though cream would have been nice we never really buy any , but have plenty of low fat greek yogurt from my commuter breakfasts. A small pot of greek yogurt ( 100ml) mixed with a few teaspoons of stem ginger syrup worked really nicely against the sweetness of the meringue .
Even though this was throw together but the colour combination was luridly lovely and zingly tasty . Next time pavlova.
Makes 6 meringues
175g golden caster sugar
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp of vanilla extra
- Preheat the oven to 140°C
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks while whisking, slowly add the caster sugar – 1 tablespoon at a time
- Whisk in the vanilla extract until combined.
- Place a heaped tablepoon of mixture onto the greaseproof paper to form eacg merigue
- Bake for 1 hour turn off the oven and leave to cool in the oven overnight
Poached Vanilla Rhubarb
100g of forced rhubarb
1 vannilla pod
1 ball of stem ginger finely minced
3 tbsp of golden caster sugar
40ml of water
- Chop the rhubarb into 1 cm cubes
- Slice the vannilla pod in half
- Heat the water to a gentle simmer add the vanilla pod
- Add the rhubarb , ginger and simmer for 10 minutes until the rhubarb is softened
- Add the sugar .
This is delicious on its own with a little yogurt or with some lovely vanilla ice cream