We don’t have a deep fat fryer so I was a bit worried about attempting these with a shallow frying pan , fortunately over at FoodStories Helen had carried out a full scientific experiment proving they could be made baked.
These were monster scotch eggs 3 inches wide but totally delicious , I now want to try making with plenty of other fillings , if you are looking for inspiration for sausagemeat flavouring I can definitely reccomend The Handmade Scotch Eggs Company pages. If my pictures don’t inspire you you can mail order packs of six with morrocan options ,chocolate , black pudding , cheesy they even have vegetarian options with kidney beans .
Baked Scotch Eggs
Makes 4 Scotch eggs
400g of good quality sausages or sausagemeat ( if you are using sausagemeat you will need to add seasoning , salt , pepper , parsley , sage and nutmeg)
1 medium leek finely chopped
100g of breadcrumbs , made from toasted bread finely chopped in the foodprocessor
- Hardboil 4 of the eggs , for 6 minutes , remove and plunge into cold water
- Remove the sausage meat from the skins or if you are using sausagemeat at this point you will need to add seasoning
- Mix in the chopped leeks
- Remove the shell from the eggs .
- Divide the sausagemeat into four
- Flatten a piece in your hand , put the egg in the middle squeeze the sausagemeat over to completely cover the egg , complete with all the eggs
- Refridgerate for 20 minutes
- Take the uncooked egg and beat on a plate
- Heap the breadcrumbs on another plate
- Roll each sausagemeat coated egg first in the egg , then in the breadcrumbs
- Place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper
- Bake at 180degc for 30 minutes , turning halfway through.