Not only is it the new asparagus season but the first new potatoes are appearing from Cornwall . With thin papery skins , sweet and delicious they soak up dressing . This is a dish you will want to eat with a fork and but for the dressing dripping asparagus feel free to use your fingers.
Wild garlic leaves in the dressing impart a delicate seasonal flavour but you can use finely chopped garlic .
Smoked mackerel is so readily available its lovely with fennel too or in a not quite nicoise salad once tomatoes come into season , I also like to make it into a pate great on toast or on a baked potato.
Warm Salad of New Potatoes , Asparagus , Smoked Mackerel , Wild Garlic and Egg Salad
200g of New Potatoes
100g of Asparagus
3 fillets of smoked mackerel
4 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of white wine vinegar
Juice and zest of one lemon
1 tbsp of dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper
1 handful of wild garlic leaves
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredient including the wild garlic leaves
- Boil the new potatoes until cooked and the eggs are hardboiled (3 minutes)
- Steam the asparagus over the potatoes for a few minutes
- Once the potatoes are cooked ,slice and mix the potatoes and the asparagus dressing while still warm this will ensure they absorb the dressing and wilt the garlic leaves .
- Mix in the asparagus place in a bowl and layer over the smoked mackerel and eggs.