The way to my mans heart is definitely crackling , but since it is probably a way to a heart attack I don’t let him have it very often. But I wanted to support British Pig Farmers being affected people mistakenly believing there is a risk of contracting Swine Flu from pork. In fact the current strain has never been found in pigs
Traditionally pork means apple sauce however there are a few recipes around at the moment for pork with rhubarb ( Pork Chops with Rhubarb, Rack of Pork w/ Rhubarb , Slow Cooked Shoulder of Pork ) which intrigued me we have plenty of rhubarb appearing in the vegeox
This was a bit of a throw together but it worked really well the rhubarbs sharpness cutting through the fattiness of the pork.
Roast Pork with fennel served with rhubarb sauce
1 medium Boned Pork Leg , score the fat
1 bulb of fennel , cut into quarters
2 sticks of rhubarb , roughly chopped
2 thumbs of ginger, pounded
3 cloves of garlic , pounded
Handful of sage leave finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 200degC
- Pound together the ginger and garlic rub over the pork, leaving the garlic and ginger pieces at the bottom of the roasting pan to cook with the pork.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes until the top has turned golden brown and crackling.
- Turn the oven down to 150degC and continue to cook for another hour.
- For the last 30 minutes add in the rhubarb and fennel to the roasting tray.
- Once cooked leave the pork to rest for 30 minutes covered in foil.
- The rhubarb garlic and ginger , will have broken down to form a sauce stir in the sage leaves.
More Rhubarb or Pork recipes