Back from camping and after a quick scope round the garden hungry for lunch. Surprisingly some bacon leftover from camping fry ups and for some pretend healthiness a little salad.
There was only a little lettuce left in the bottom of the salad drawer, not enough to make a proper salad, so I cooked up some lentils. With a balsamic vinegar dressing dressing and few toasted walnuts. Chicory or fennel would work perfectly in this dish too.
Lettuce Lentil and Bacon and Walnut Salad
1/2 head of lettuce
150g of puy lentils
1 stick of celery finely chopped
1 tbsp of chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
2 rashers of bacon
1 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of walnut pieces
2 tbsp of fresh parsley finely chopped
4 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp of mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the lentils, bay leaf & celery with boiling water.
- Simmer gently for 20minutes , they should still have some bite to them.
- Once cooked cover with cold water.
- Chop the bacon, garlic into slices fry until the bacon is crispy for the last few minutes add the walnuts,
- Mix together the vinegar , honey, oil , mustard , parsley & salt and pepper, to make a dressing.
- Dress the lentils in the dressing
- Layer the lettuce and lentils in a bowl.
- Top off the salad with the bacon, garlic and walnuts.