I love fish pie, it a conforting dish and made with everything in one pot.
The weather has turned again, with rain replacing the scorching BBQ weekend. So I wanted something comforting. Once all the preperation is done this is one of those classic dishes for serving to a big family. It doesn’t need an accompanients really.
Pies are also a good way of using up ingredients in this case languishing frozen scallops and salmon neither of which standout enough to be principal but contributing delicious texture in a pie.
For the topping and a summer theme , new potatoes at this time of year have papery skins that can just be scrubbed and mashed.
Perhaps wanted a hint of smokey BBQness, I added a little smoked salmon which goes a long way but for added smokiness in the topping a little recently picked up some Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese a strong mature cheese the smoked version is delicious and deep flavour.
Smokey Summer Fish Pie
Serves 4 ( or two greedy people)
50g of Smoked Salmon cut into 1cm strips
250g of fresh salmon steaks skin removed cut into 2cm square chunks
4 small scallops cut in half
100g of peas ( frozen is fine but if you can get fresh even better)
400g of new potatoes scrubbed
50g of smoked cheese ( Smoked Lincolnshie Poacher
20ml of milk
1 tbsp of butter
300ml of milk
1 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of flour
1 medium onion
- Slice the onion and place in a pan with the milk , salt and pepper
- Bring to a gentle simmer then turn of the heat cover and leave to steep for at least 20 minutes
- Meanwhile scrub the new potatoes cut any that are larger than a large egg in half place in a pan cover with water bring to the boil until soft about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the fish by seasoning well with salt and pepper in put it in the bottom of a oven proof pie dish with the peas.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan add the flour and slowly add the milk and onion to form a roux sauce add half the cheese
- Mash the potatoes with the skins on , add butter and milk
- Pour the roux sauce over the fish top with the mashed potatoes and finally scatter over the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a hot over ( 200degc) for 20 minutes until golden on the top.