Braised Beef Ribs , I have been a very bad blogger recently nothing has tasted or looked quite the way it should and so there haven’t been any recipes.
I bought these ribs last weekend , at 8 inches long and like something out of the Flintstones , Brontosauras burger anyone , I had planned to BBQ them but the weather has been against me clearly this serves me right for buying a new BBQ.
Ribs need a good long cook to ensure they are not tough so I went for a slow-braise rather than a roast and although my first thought was red wine instead I want for something with some spice. The ribs were delicious meaty but with a zingy sauce especially with fluffy rice and cruncy steamed green veggies.
Chinese Braised Beef Ribs
4 beef short ribs
75 ml of rice wine
20ml of soy sauce
20ml of rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tsp of crushed red chillis
1 tsp of ground ginger
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of ground star anise
- Mix together the ginger , garlic , star anise and chilli .
- Rub the mix over the ribs
- Place in a oven proof dish fat side down
- Pour over the rice wine, vinegar , soy sauce.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven at 150degC
- Cook for 2 hours , uncover turn over the ribs and cook with the foil off for the last half hour
- Remove the ribs and leave to rest.
- Seperate the fat from the cooking juices , taste and season with additional chilli and ginger as required . If you want the sauce to be thickened a little cornflour can be added