There were a few chipolata sausages leftover from Christmas in the freezer not quite enough for meal so I made a soup bulked out with pearly barley , root vegetables and kale . Despite some substantial ingredients this was light dish but nutritious and tasty.
Root Vegetable , Barley , Kale & Sausage Stew
1 large swede – peeled and chopped into 1 cm cubes
2 large carrots finely chopped
1 medium onion finely chopped
5 pork and sage chipolata sausages
2 cloves of garlic
2 pint of vegetable stock
4 handfuls of kale removed from any really fibrous stalks
1 tsp of wholegrain mustard
Salt and pepper
Sprinkling of fresh chives
- Simmer all the vegetables in half the stock together until soft about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile grill the sausages til brown then cut into 1.5cm pieces.
- Puree , then add the other pint of stock pearl barley and the sausages
- Simmer for 30 minutes for the last 10 minutes, add the kale and mustard.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Garnish with fresh herbs chives