I love lamb shanks not only are they very easy to cook, they require no carving to give perfect portions. Best with a slow cooking these fall apart sweet lamb and melting butter beans which soak up the sticky juice.
Lamb Shanks with Butter Beans and Kale
2 large lamb shanks
300g of butter beans soaked overnight
300ml of red wine
500ml of water
2 large springs of rosemary
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oven to 160degC.
- Season the lamb shanks well with salt pepper and finely chopped rosemary
- Add a little oil to a large casserole dish and heat on the hob.
- Fry the lamb shanks until brown on all sides.
- Add the onion , garlic, red wine & water and bring to a gentle simmer
- Add the butter beans, cover and and place in the oven for 2 hours, removing the lid for the last 30 minutes.
- If you can leave overnight to cool in the oven and skim off the fat from the surface then reheat by adding handfuls of roughly chopped kale, stirred into the gravy it will cook in a few minutes