I cannot visit my in-laws this time of year without coming away with a tonne of homegrown goodies. They are on daily Courgette Patrol, necessary to assure no unattended courgettes sneakily achieve marrow status . So we left with a massive bag of courgettes.
Every summer the courgette fritter recipes appear ; ( Hairy Bikers ,Nigella ,Yotam )and every summer my fear of frying stops me trying them , last year the closest I got was to make a lovely Courgette Fritatta .
This year I was determined , too long have I denied myself rostis and bhajis. Lots of recipes include feta in the fritter and I would love to say I meant to leave it out. However it was an oversight on my part so I had to scatter it over the top but it actually worked well especially with extra herbs and chillis scattered over the top.
You could use carrots instead of courgettes ( perhaps with a dash of cumin) either way these fritters would also be lovely drizzled with yogurt or tahini.
Courgette and Pea Fritters
300g courgettes, grated
4 tbsp of frozen peas ( or fresh peas steamed for a few minutes)
Zest of half a lemon
1 free-range egg
1 tbsp paprika
60g of plain flour
1 clove of garlic
1 spring onion white part chopped green part for topping
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp Parsley finely chopped
2 tbsp Mint finely chopped
2 tbsp of feta cheese
2 red chillis roughly chopped
Rape seed oil to fry
- Place the courgette in the centre of a tea-towl, gather together the edges around the courgette and squeeze to remove the water from the courgette- a lot comes out
- Mix together the grated courgette, with the white spring onion, beaten egg, lemon zest paprika , garlic and half the herbs.
- Add the flour ( seived) and stir well. Season with salt and pepper
- Put a tablespoon of rape seed oil into a frying pan
- Take a heaped teaspoon of the mixture and place it into the pan
- Repeat with more spoonfuls to form the fritters . Leave it for a few seconds, before pushing each down with the back of the spoon.
- Cook for a minute on one side, then turn and cook another minute, both sides should be golden brown.
- Leave somewhere warm until the whole mixture is cooked
To serve scatter with the rest of the herbs, a dash of fresh lemon juice, the green of the spring onion, sliced red chilli and crumbled feta cheese.