The Blackberry season came very early this year , I started gathering them at the end of July. According to tradition/Wikipaedia blackberries should not be picked after Michaelmas (29 September) as the devil has claimed them, leaving a mark on the leaves by urinating on them. So with just a few weeks before the devil pee pee strikes I am trying out all of my blackberry recipes, I have also got some foraged apples so can makes some old Blackberry and Apple favourites
This is an adaptation of my Mum’s Blackberry Mousse recipe, a favourite from my childhood, though I have removed the egg yolks and replace the cream with yogurt. It is like eating a blackberry cloud so unbelievably light and fluffy you will end up eating a lot. If you are willing to throw caution to the wind some people have been known to eat it with a dash of double cream.
400g of blackberries
100g of sugar
2 tsp of powdered gelatine
1/4 pint plain yogurt
3 egg ( whites only)
- Puree the blackberries ( You can sieve to remove the seeds) then warm through in a pan to not allow them to boil , dissolve the sugar in the puree. Allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Add the gelatin and yogurt to the warm puree and leave to begin setting after 10 minutes it should become jammy.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff , fold in the blackberries -yogurt puree
- Pour into a large serving bowl or individual dishes and refrigerate for 12 hours
- Garnish with fresh blackberries