It made we wonder why I hadn’t thought of Christmas Spices in a flapjack before rather than buy the individual ingredients I opted to use a jar of the in-laws 2008 Vintage Mincemeat
The mincemeat certainly smelt spicy and brandy boozy packed with dried fruit and flecked with suet (fat).
Quick and easy to make the flapjacks are a fantastic alternative to Mince Pies. Mixed with the oats the mincemeat result in a traybake that is moist with apple , rich with mixed spice and studded with chewy sweet sultanas, candied peel and raisins.
Perfect in pre-christmas packed lunches a box will definitely be making it’s way to the Carol Service this year.
400g of porridge oats
100g of honey
100g of butter
100g brown sugar
300g of mincemeat
- Melt the butter with the mincemeat until liquid
- Add the honey and brown sugar and stir well
- Pour over a bowl of the porridge oats and mix well
- Place in the oven at 180degC for 20 minutes until golden brown
- Allow to rest for an hour or so, but cut into pieces while still warm