I am beggining to wonder if Emily has eaten my brain, seriously has it leaked out with all the milk. She is lovely but this morning I actually tried to leave the house to go to the shops in my socks , no shoes, just padded out pushing her pushchair in my socks. I only realised when my feet felt wet.
Still I suppose it is good that I have this blog so when I have totally lost my mind someone might be able to cook the dishes I like and this is definitely going on the list.
To cook this I used some frozen oxtail from Harkers Farm Shop most of the fat had been trimmed off. Not quite the bargain it used to be seems also my favourite cheap cuts are slowly becoming fashionable.
The oxtail needs cooking slow and low to ensure the is meat that can be sucked off the bone perfect with the spicy sticky sauce but definitely have some napkins handy .
1.5kg of oxtail
5 tbsp of thick soy sauce
5 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
2 star anise
1 tbsp of red chilli flakes
1 pint of vegetable stock ( or 1/4 pint if you are using a slow cooker)
2 cloves of garlic finely sliced
1 orange cut into quarters
1 thumb of ginger finely chopped
1 heaped tbsp of cornflour mixed with 3 tbsp of water
- Trim the oxtails of any excess fat
- Heat the oil in a pan and sear the oxtail on all sides
- Add the garlic ,ginger, chilli, star anise heat in the oil for a minute or two
- Add the liquids and the orange.
- Pin the oven at 150degC for 3 hours or the slow cooker on low for 6 hours
- Remove the orange and the oxtail
- At this point you can leave the sauce to cool overnight and skim off the fat if you wish
- Warm through the sauce ( adding the oxtail if you have left these to cool) l add the cornflour mixed with water to thicken the sauce