I have been getting organised sorting through the freezer and making a list of the meat contents which we are slowly working our way through – mostly to make way for more goodies.
For some reason I had a very small bag of minced pork too small for even bread-padded meatballs or haslet . Nick suggested dim sum which pre-baby we would often make together and eat for Friday night dinner .
They really are not that labour intensive to assemble we churned out 40 in about 15 minutes using ready made dim sum wrappers also from the freezer ( left out for 30 minutes to defrost) . Once assembled dim sum can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours before steaming or even popped into the freezer. They can then be cooked from frozen add 5 minutes to the steaming time.
I can’t wait til we can get Em on the production line but at 4 months
old she is assuming a supervisory role from her new highchair. Actually
we need to keep most of the food away from her as everything is
currently heading straight into her mouth for a good gumming.
Perfect fodder for when we have finally wrestled Baby Em into bed. Chewy and satisfying below are some pork mince recipes but it is fun to play around and tofu , mushrooms or chicken mince work well too.
Dim Sum Recipe
To make 40 dim sum
40 dim sum wrappers
100g of pork mince
20 Pork and Cabbage Dim Sum
50g of pork mince
100g of white cabbage finely chopped
1 small onion
1 tsp of minced garlic
1 tsp of minced ginger
1 tsp of red chilli
1/2 egg beaten
20 Pork and Prawn
50g of pork mince
50g of prawns finely chopped
1 tsp of fresh ginger
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- Mix together each set of filling ingredients
- to make a dim sum place a teaspoon of filling in the centre of the wrapper
- Dip your finger into a bowl of water, rub it round the outer rim of the wrapper
- fold over the wrapper to make a half moon shape , making sure the edges are sealing in all the filling , then pleat the edges together.
- place the completed dim sum on a sheet of greaseproof paper
- Steam for 6 minutes over boiling water
Serve with soy sauce for dipping