This sounds like a really dull healthy dish. And though it is healthy but it’s definitely not dull. It packs a mean punch.
I make it to use up things in the vegetable/salad draw, or when there really isn’t much in the fridge as you can use a lot of freezer ingredients. I prefer to use brown rice as I like the nutty taste I think it tastes like it has been fried.
Brown Rice and Greens
Makes enough for two
100g of brown rice
100g of meat – chicken thighs , prawns , pork all work well
2 handfuls of greens – chard , spinach , kale -very finely chopped
2 handfuls of fresh or frozen – green beans ,sugar snap peas, mange tout or peas
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 large red chilli, finely chopped
1 thumb of ginger
1 tbsp of coriander ( either fresh leaves or coriander seeds)
6 tbsp of soy sauce
Splash of sunflower oil
- Cook the brown rice and allow to cool.
- Finely chop ( or food process) together the greens , garlic , onions , chilli, ginger and coriander
- Mix together with the meat.
- Fry the meat , greens and spices in a splash of oil for 5 minutes until the meat us cooked.
- Add the beans/peas and brown rice.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Make an well in the middle and add the egg.
- Stir well to cook the egg and keep staring for a few more minutes adding the soy sauce, before serving.