Just as I attempting to do Dry January. Nick has decided to have a few weeks off meat (but including fish). It’s coninciding with my attempts to get into using Instagram.
Pad Thai is a dish I love and it’s pretty Instagram friendly, but I have never mastered cooking it myself. However I am nothing if not determined and this dish is pretty close to something from a restaurant – though I probably need to get more liberal with the sugar and oil.
1 large carrot finely grated
2 handfuls of cabbage finely shredded
1/2 red onion finely sliced
1 clove of garlic
2 handfuls of fresh breansprouts
1 tbsp of dried shrimp
2 handfuls of dried rice noodles
2 tsp of tamarind
1 tsp of fish sauce
1/2 tsp of brown sugar
1/2 tsp of korean chili pepper
Fresh coriander leaves
2 tbsp of peanuts , toasted and crushed
- Simmer the rice noodles in boilin water with the shrimp.
- Fry together the vegetables (carrot, cabbage, onion and garlic) in sunflower oil until softened.
- Mix together the sugar, fish sauce , tamarind and pepper.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the eggs and stir to cook quickly
- Once the egg is cooked, add the noodles and beansprouts.
- Cook for 2 minutes, add the mixed sauce and cook for one more minute
- Serve with a scattering of coriander leaves, peanuts and a squeeze of lime juice.