This is a great use of leftover Sunday lunch vegetables. We always end up with an interesting mix of depending on what vegetable the kids have decided they don’t like this week.
The key additional ingredients are freezer staples – peas and spinach. It used to be that I would throw in some diced chicken thighs but now really loving some tofu or some paneer.
Vegetable and Tofu Curry
200g of tofu
500g of leftover vegetables e.g cauliflower, brocoli, carrots and potatoes
8 blocks of frozen spinach
4 cups of frozen peas
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
1 thumb of ginger
1 tbsp of garam masala + 1tsp extra
1 tbsp of turmeric
1 whole green chilli
1tsp of mustards seeds +1/2tsp extra
1tsp of nigella seeds
2 green chillies
2 handfuls of tomatoes (if in season and ripe) or half a tin of chopped tomatoes
1. Fry the spices and seeds in sunflower oil.
2. Add the garlic , ginger and onion until softened
3. Add the tomatoes, spinach and vegetables and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Finally cube the tofu
5. In a separate pan fry the tofu with oil and a teaspoon of garam masala and half a teaspoon of mustard seeds for a couple of minutes, until cooked
6. Serve on top of the vegetable curry mix