The greengrocers have gluts of cherry tomatoes on sale at the moment. It was just as well I got a lot since at least didn’t make it home as I snacked on them during the walk home most of a punnet didn’t make it home as I kept reaching into my bag on the way home and eating them.
Most have been turned into slow roasted tomatoes and are now sitting in the fridge in oil however I had some left and made a tart for dinner.
There is something magical about warm roasted tomatoes with something carby , pastry or broad to mop up the juices, with perhaps a scattering of goats cheese
At the end of last year I became faintly addicted to new potatoes finely sliced on pizza creating a soft sweet layer ,further heightened by and puree caramalised onion and garlic. This works well on pastry too bulking it out just enough to make these tarts perfectly filling
Tomato, Onion and Potato Tart
Serves 2 with plenty of green salad.
250g of ready made puff pastry ( Half a packet )
2 white onions finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1 tsp of butter
3 tbsp Olive oil
100g of cherry tomatoes cut on half
50g of new potatoes finely sliced
Fresh oregano and thyme
- In a heavy bottomed pan , make the onion sweat the onions and garlic in butter on a medium heat.
- Add a pinch of salt continue to cook until the onions darken slightly
- Add a splash of water to loosen the onion and garlic and form a stiff puree.
- Preheat the oven to 220decC
- Finely slice the potatoes, I use the slicing side of the cheese grater, they should be thin enough to see through. Mix with a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cut the pastry into 2 ( one for each tart ) Roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thick, leaving 0.5cm of pastry clear at the edges, spread over the onion puree , then scatter over a layer of potatoes just one slice thick ( anymore and there is a risk they will not cook)
- Place the halves of cherry tomatoes , rounded side down
- Brush the tomato tops a little olive oil , season with salt and pepper and scatter with fresh herbs, thyme , oregano and rosemary
- Bake for 25 minutes until the tomatoes are beggining to bubble and the pastry has risen and browned around the edges
You could add some goats cheese or ham