This is the time of year when my food photostream turns green , peas and beans.
Pea Pesto so deliciously sweet you think you must have added some sugar, add a dash of goats cheese, lemon and mint to the recipe below and it’s lovely on some toasted french beans.
Here it add some extra green zing as a vegetable pesto. Topped here with some foraged tri-corned garlic but some purple chive or garlic flowers would be lovely too.
Gnocchi with Broad Beans Bacon and Pea Pesto
200g of potato gnocchi (recipe below)
2 rashers of thick cut smoked bacon
200g of broad beans
2tbsp of greek yoghurt
200g Pea Pesto (recipe below)
- Cook the gnocchi til soft add the broad beans for the last few minutes (fresh will take double the length of frozen)
- Fry the bacon til crispy, stir in the broad beans.
- Add the cooked gnocchi and quickly stir in the pesto and yoghurt
- Taste and season with extra black pepper
200g of peas
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Puree together the peas, garlic , oil
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
Makes enough for 4 people ( so you can freeze half for the above recipe)
1kg of potatoes
400g of flour ( but you may not need it all)
Pinch of salt
- Peel the potatoes, cut into quarter a place in a pan of boiling salted water.
- Simmer until the potatoes are softened.
- Mash until fine , or use a food processor or ricer
- Add the egg salt and slowly add the flour.
- You want a bread dough texture but depending on the wetness of potatoes you may not need all the flour.
- Remove a golf ball size of dough, roll into a sausage shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 1.5cm sized pieces with a fork roll it over.
- Place well spaced on a tray or baking sheet before cooking
- You can cook the gnocchi immediately by cooking it in boiling salted water until the gnocchi rise to the top . This usually takes just a few minutes
- To freeze place on a baking tray and place in the freezer, once frozen they can be placed in a freezer bag and will keep for months and can be cooked as above straight from frozen.