I’m home alone tonight and in late so getting something needed to be quick so I am falling back on a storecupboard classic anchovies, chilli & garlic , unami and heat. They perfectly complement iron rich vegetables like kale, broccoli or spinach. I am emptying the freezer to make way for Christmas goodies, I found a bag of home-made gnocchi.
Starchy salty , garlic and chilli pillows of gnocchi with ferrous chewy kales. Ready in minutes and even eaten in seconds.
I have not been the most successful in making pasta but gnocchi is easy, but one tip and one of my most embarrassing cookery mistakes. Should you make gnocchi in advance put it in the freezer leaving it in the fridge overnight you will wake up to grey gnocchi.
1kg of potatoes
400g of flour ( but you may not need it all)
Pinch of salt
- Peel the potatoes, cut into quarter a place in a pan of boiling salted water.
- Simmer until the potatoes are softened.
- Mash until fine , or use a food processor or ricer
- Add the egg salt and slowly add the flour.
- You want a bread dough texture but depending on the wetness of potatoes you may not need all the flour.
- Remove a golf ball size of dough, roll into a sausage shape on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 1.5cm sized pieces with a fork roll it over.
- Place well spaced on a tray or baking sheet before cooking
- You can cook the gnocchi immediately by cooking it in boiling salted water until the gnocchi rise to the top . This usually takes just a few minutes
- To freeze place on a baking tray and place in the freezer, once frozen they can be placed in a freezer bag and will keep for months and can be cooked as above straight from frozen.
Gnocchi with Anchovies , Garlic , Chilli and Kale
30g tin of anchovies in oil
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tsp of dried chillis
4 handfuls of Kale roughly chopped
- Heat the oil from the anchovies tin until sizzling add the the anchovies, chilli and garlic cook until the garlic has softened not browned
- Add the kale , stitring cook for a few minutes until softened, meanwhile cook the pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta/gnocchi and stir well.