I’ll be honest going to Morocco was actually one of the worst holidays of my life. The architecture and scenery was stunning, the food was amazing but I struggled massively with not being able to vaguely look at anything on a stall / restaurant without being harangued.
After a guy offered to show us the tanning / carpet shops and then went truly insane we didn’t want to buy a £1000 rug demanding £50 for ten minutes of his time, we wised up and were better at the firm No!/Headshake , but I could never quite get comfortable. I was reduced to tears when a guy at stall in the Night Market in Marrakesh called me a bitch because we didn’t eat at his stall that evening. We had nodded a maybe earlier on in the evening.
However the food was amazing especially the tangines, I still remember a rabbit and prune one. I don’t own a tagine, as with everything I use my pressure cooker which creates that long slow cook taste in less than an hour. If you don’t have one a Le Cruset does the same but in a longer time.
Chicken, Cauliflower and Date Tagine
- Half a preserved lemon finely chopped (recipe)
- 2 dried limes
- 1tbsp of turmeric ( you can use a few strands of saffron)
- 1tbsp of harrisa (recipe below save what is left for serving but you can add more here if you are feeding people who can cope with some heat )
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large cauliflower roughly diced
- 300g of cooked chick peas ( Either canned or dried chick peas can be in the pressure cooker on high for 45 minutes with the pressure released slowly
- Handful of dates roughly chopped
- Handful of olives halved
- 3 chicken thighs (I’m quite stingy with meat these days)
- 1 pint of water
Mix together all the ingredients and cook on 30 minutes on 2 (high), that’s it.
1/2 red pepper finely chopped
1 red chili ( scotch bonnets are great)
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of coriander seeds
1 tsp of fennel seeds
5 tbsp of sunflower oil
1/2 tsp of salt
- Toast the seeds in the oil , add the garlic and chilis and quickly remove from the heat
- Puree , you may need to add a little more oil to help.
- Chopped Dates
- Coriander/ Parsley Leaf
- Wholemeal Bulgar Wheat