This really isn’t a recipe but a throw together dish packed with autumn flavours without the stodge. Sweet roasted butternut squash and silky onions , juicy fat slices of mushrooms & crunchy cheesy thyme breadcrumbs .
This is a good way of using up leftover root vegetables from Sunday lunch it works with roasted parsnips or carrots . For me this is perfect a main meal but it would work as a great side dish especially with gamey birds like pheasant or partridge . You can also add chestnuts , walnuts or hazlenuts to the breadcrumbs .
Mushroom and Butternut Squash Gratin
1 butternut squash cut into 2cm cubes
1 large onion sliced
1 clove of garlic sliced
few sprigs of thyme
3 large flat mushrooms roughly sliced
1 heaped tbsp cheese ( stilton or feta)
1tsp of olive oil/rape seed oil
2 thick slices of white bread
Salt and Pepper
- Place the butternut squash in a roasting dish with the onions and garlic.
- Season with salt , pepper and a drizzle of oil.
- Place in the oven at 180degc for 30 minutes, shaking every so often.
- at the same time put the bread in the bottom of the oven to dry out
- Pulse the dried bread with the blue cheese and thyme in a food processor with a drop of oil and a pinch of salt
- Remove the foil from the squash cover with a layer of mushrooms and then a layer of breadcrumbs.