I really wanted to go for a walk this Saturday, but we got a call to say a long awaited item was finally being delivered, as usual they promised the morning , but morning means anytime between 9am and 2pm. Determined not to be my usual grumpy self I decided it would give me a chance for some attentive slow cooking
Though this recipe takes a really long time, the results are definitely worth it , spicy caramalised pieces on the outside of the joint of tender melting pork that falls apart dipped in spicy unami sauce . In fact definitely hide any lefover or you will find yourself dipping pork into sauce straight from the pan or fridge. Any leftovers that do make it through can be added to weekday stirfrys or noodles soups making this a great alternative to a traditional roast.
Chinese Slow Cook Pork Shoulder with Five Spice Sauce
1 boneless pork shoulder about 1kg , fat and rind removed ( you can make Pork Scratchings)
2 tbsp of thick soy sauce
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 thumb of ginger finely chopped
1 tbsp of dried chillli flakes
2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp of brown sugar
3 star anise
1 tsp of fennel
1/2 black pepper
1.5 pints of chicken stock boiling
To finish the sauce
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
1/2 thumb of fresh ginger
4 tbsp of honey
- Turn the oven onto 190degC.
- Rub the pork shoulder all over with the soy sauce ,vinegar , sugar ginger, fennel, chilli and garlic.
- Place in a cast iron casserole pot and pour over the chicken stock.
- Bring to a gentle simmer , cover & place in the oven for 1 hour at 190degC.
- Then turn down the oven to 150degC for 3 hours
- Remove the pork from the juice and refridgerate the juice, so you can skim off the fat.
- The next steps can be done an hour before you are ready to serve
- The simmer the sauce until it is reduced by half and add the finishing ingredients this will ensure the most flavoursome sauce, simmer until the consistency of sticky honey.
- Turn the oven to 190degC , carefully place the pork in a roasting dish the brush over with the sauce
- Roast for 45 minutes turning basting two or three times, very carefully the meat will be very tender at this point
- Pull apart the pork with a fork and pour over the sauce.
- Serve with noodles and green vegetables
Spring Onions , Cabbage and Sesame Noodles
100g of dried noodles
6 Spring Onions
1/2 Green Cabbage
Toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp of rice wine vinegar
1 tsp of sesame oil
- Finely slice a green leafy cabbage , and spring onion
- Add the sesame seeds , rice wine vinegar and oil and leave for 15 minutes
- Pour boiling water over the noodles and simmer til soft
- Mix with the cabbage and serve