Last year I made the quintisenital Spring dish a Wild Garlic Risotto with St Georges Mushrooms . The mushrooms won’t appear for another few weeks so until then I am contenting myself with a simple risotto made with a wild garlic butter gathered last weekend. Garnished with the wild garlic buds which can be eaten like the heads of garlic chives s a really quick weekday meal but also an accompaniment to grilled chicken or salmon.
Wild Garlic Risotto
200g of risotto rice
1.5 pints of chicken/vegetables stock
5 tbsp of wild garlic butter ( recipe below)
1 medium onion finely chopped
- Fry the onion in half the butter butter to soften , but do not allow to colour
- Add the risotto rice , stir to coat well in the butter for about a minute
- Add the mushrooms to the stock and warm through
- Add 1/4 of stock to the rice until absorbed, add the rest of the stock in ladles full stirring continuously.
- Finally add the mushrooms stir well
- Just before serving stir in the rest of the wild garlic butter
Wild Garlic Butter (to make 100g of butter )
100g of butter slightly salted
A carrier bag loosely filled with wild garlic leaves
- Food process together until the garlic is well dispersed the butter will turn a lovely green colour.
- It can then be rolled into a cylinder of greaseproof paper and frozen – discs may then be sliced off for recipes, topping vegetables e.g asparagus/peas