I am determined to master filleting fish, it’s one of those skills that once mastered makes you look wholly professional. Thanks to You Tube I can now make a passable effort but I am still too stabby with the knife. I often watch videos in awe as people use long clean strokes to remove beautiful fillets of fish.(Here in 38 seconds).
Happily I have perfected the final stage removing the pin bones to produce bone free fillets, that can easily be seared in a pan for a few minutes on either side.
Alternatively once filleted the fillets can be cooked en papillote. Sandwiching herbs flesh to flesh ,wrapped in an envelope of foil or parchment paper and cooked in a hot 180degC oven for 10 minutes or less.
I served the filleted sea bass with a delicious salad bursting with English summer freshness
Fennel , Mint , Parsley , Broad Beans & New Potato Salad
1 fennel bulb
Handful of double podded broad beans
2 handfuls of new potatoes
6 tbsp of rape seed oil
6 tbsp of white wine vinegar
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and zest
1 tbsp of wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp of finely chopped parsley and mint
- Boil the new potatoes
- mix together the lemon juice, zest, oil, vinegar and mustard to form a dressing
- Shred the fennel and mix the broad beans & half the dressing
- While the potatoes are still warm mix into the other half of the dressing
- Leave the vegetables for marinade for at least 20 minutes
- Before serving mix together all the vegetables with the herbs