It might be July but the mushrooms are back and gathered a lot of Hedgehog (Hedghog) fungus this weekend , so easy to recognise due to its spiney underside, its has a fantastic firm texture and a peppery taste . For a summer treat and trying to use up the mound of onions from the vegebox made a version of the traditional french onion tart to
be served with some warm green beans with vinagrette
Hedgehog (Hedghog) Mushroom and Onion Tart
3oog shortcrust pastry ( Mix 200g of plain flour with 100g of butter til crumbed then slowly add 10ml of water leave to rest in fridge )
5 large onions
two large handfuls of chopped mushrooms ( in this case Hedgehog Mushroom )
2 tbsp of butter
- Sweat onions in a pan of butter , and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Chop mushrooms in this case gathered wild this weekend Hedgohog Mushrooms but any kind of mushroom would be fine .
- Line a 30cm diameter tart tray and layer in the onion and mushrooms.
- Bake at 180deg C for 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool and serve with salad.
Gathering it this weekend very fun using my new mushroom knife
I have cooked with this fungus before when it first appeared last year in October …. recipe available here